me, molly, and the moon

Saturday, December 02, 2006

slingin' goodness, molly speaks, and the quest for velvet

I finally found a position Molly likes with our DIY baby sling, which in a former incarnation was a longish shawl I bought at the thrift store and wore to my bridal shower. I tried it when she was newborn in a pouch-like cradled position and she didn't like it much. The other evening I used it differently. It's just tied with one big knot in a circle, and I put it over one shoulder, then slip Molly in straddling the fabric, then I open it up to cup her bottom and twist and open it to cup my shoulder. I'll post a photo sometime soon.


We went to an art reception and this woman said, "Wow, it's so nice to see you're slinging your baby. Is that a Such and Such wrap or a such and such?" I said it was a shawl I found second hand that I improvised and she was delighted. Turns out she's a La Leche League leader and does demos of babywearing and makes slings. She offered to help me fine-tune our new-found sling ability and I'll probably attend the LLL meeting this week. I was just thrilled to meet her on top of all my hippiemama pride at finally wearing her on our great night out.


We had such a fantastic weekend of girliness. Friday, before the art show, we met at Jen's house with a bunch of friends I haven't seen in a while. Molly got oodles of attention. She was playing in the floor when she decided to look at me an nonchalantly say, "Mmm. Mom. Mama."! I know it'll be even more incredible when she knows I am her Mama and she's labelling me, but my Goddess it was beautiful just to hear her tiny Molly voice say that wonderful wordlet.


Today we went to the mall with her Mamaw in the continuing quest for the all important Christmas (ahem, Solstice) outfit. We went everywhere and found that either 1) they had an adorable dress that we loved but none were smaller than 18 months, 2) they had nothing but cheesy red junk with candy canes and teddy bears, or 3) they had dresses I could live with but wasn't thrilled with. We decided to head out to The Hellmouth (big shopping center of discount stores and Evil, Vile traffic. Cool anagram there, yes?) but on our way out we realized we'd forgotten Macy's. We found a clearance rack, and started looking through, and then clouds parted and a choir of angels (for Mamaw) and faeries (for me) started singing and we found The Dress. It's a deep green, velvet with cream satin trim and little pearls and a flower with dangly ribbons. It has a velvet stretchy headband (which I usually hate, but I have been possessed by girliness) and l'il bloomers. It's freakin' adorable. I really, really wanted green velvet. I am a happy mama. Oh, there will be photos, lots and lots of photos.

4 comments:

Maggie said...

Don't tell no one I said so but bloomers are the best part about having a wee birdie. Those things would make a baby goblin look adorable. Congratulations on finding a dress. If you are doing shoes (superfluous at best but Molly may be a stickler for completing an outfit) go Ebay for the Mary Janes that she'll likely only wear once. Says me.

Heidi said...

Maggie, we are actually finding shoes a bit useful- as sock-keeper-onners. We did, of course, have to have the Mary Janes. We got them for less than $10 at a discount shop, so yay us. I have a medically diagnosed addiction to Mary Janes, both for littles and for me, so I was overjoyed to get Molly her first pair.

Remember when I was worried about girly-ing her up too much? Lol... I'm sorry, I can't help myself. She's so cute! I'll make a good feminist out of her yet, just after I get to dress her up like a dolly for a year or two.

Anonymous said...

I have a 12 month dress you could have for Molly-it's FREAKING adorable-it's dark red, with a little fake fur collar. I loves it, but Gigantor is much too big for it now.

She's wearing it here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/thordora/156716210/

I'm pretty sure I didn't already give it away.

Let me know, and I'll look. Email thordora AT Gmail DOT com

I have a girly problem too. With my first, no problem, but with Ros...oh, it's a PROBLEM. :)

Anonymous said...

Heidi...hat's done and I didn't copy your address before I lost the email. Sawwy. Can you please send it again? Have you been to my blog to see photos of it? It can be girly...or not. :)