me, molly, and the moon

Friday, November 24, 2006

she's my sweet potato


The sweet potatoes were a huge hit. She did really well with opening her mouth and swallowing; I was impressed. My contributions turned out pretty well, I suppose. The made-from-scratch and jello-free cranberry sauce was very tart and offended my 9 year old nephew's palate, but the grown-ups liked it. My glazed carrots could have had more glaziness, but were okay. The broccoli casserole was great. I could have eaten a ton of it, but Molly would have been pissed because broccoli-mom-milk gives her terrible gas.


After dinner with Shane's family we went to my Grandma's. She's doing really well now that she's back home. Her dementia is much better in a familiar environment. I think it's very mild, but Shane says she's more wacky than I think. Mostly she just repeats herself over and over. She had the best time playing with the baby- Molly was in the giggliest mood I've ever seen. She was just adorable.

I missed my mom so much, but it gets better and better. Molly is the best healing wonder. Being a mom makes me feel closer to my mom. I am still so close to her, it's weird maybe. I don't get into the guardian angel thing or any of that specific, religious stuff- it seems so literal and cheesy to me- I just feel closeness I guess. Like I still have a familiarity with her and a comfort about her memory that feels like the very mundane normal closeness we had when she was alive. Of course, there are times when all I feel is her absense, and it's like a fresh, wounded screaming pain that will never, ever heal. An orphaned, angry, lost feeling filled with confused denial. It just may never seem acceptable to my heart that she is gone. I think those moments are coming less often. They used to be so awful. I wince remembering the way Shane would hold me and I'd sob and shake. Now usually I have a little warm melancholy feeling, like a lingering ache but the baby will smile and I'll know her motherness is in me now as I sing and rock Molly.

(edited for a new better collage and longer entry-hre)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My own daughters have been a wonderful way to heal, to move on, and to honor my mother. I see her in them, and around them, and while it still makes me weepy, it also makes me proud to carry her on this way.

She's with you. I'm an atheist, and I still believe my mother is with me. Even if it's just a few stray atoms I've inhaled. :)

Heidi said...

Thordora-
That really struck me, "even if it's just a few stray atoms I've inhaled." I am a strange mix of atheist, pagan, and agnostic- hence the UU membership:) When mom died and she was cremated, I took some of her ashes to the ocean, and the fact that her bones and dust was identical in appearance and feel to the sand and ground up shells I was walking on was indescribably moving to me. It put in perspective the fragile physicality of a human life and elevated the sand in my mind to an intense funereal thing- all the grains used to be something large and solid- a rock, a shell, a bone. It was so beautiful to me that her body actually became reincarnated as sand in the ocean.

Anonymous said...

It's the one thing I DO believe-that no one really leaves us because they actually become a part of us, no matter how small.

Of course, that also means that people we don't like end up in us, but we'll ignore that for now. :)

It allows me to believe in immortality, but in a different way. We're all a part of each other, everyday, since matter is never destroyed, and we shed a LOT of skin cells after all.

It's comforting to see nature as a cycle of our selves, instead of something separate. And it's comforting to somehow know she really is in your heart.

And Molly is fricken adorable btw...