me, molly, and the moon

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

of tea and snow and apples*

It snowed yesterday, more than flurries. Enough to create that gorgeous lacy texture in the sky for a few minutes. Shane and I looked and said, "Wow. Our first snow this year," then we both looked at the baby and exclaimed, "Molly's first snow ever!" I walked out into the snow with her but she was unimpressed. Nothing exciting like, say, a ceiling fan. Now that's a good time.

We met with our job coach yesterday at a local coffee shop. I always get a chai tea, because I love, love, love chai tea. That evening Molly fought sleep more than usual. I've noticed this a few times and thought vaguely that it might be related to my little caffeine indulgences. Probably not enough to worry about, but at least in the evenings I should probably eschew the tea. We have a client meeting there this afternoon, so I'll stick with a vanilla steamed milk or a cocoa.

I'm dying to feed the baby real, tasty food. She's nearly five months, old enough in some peoples' book to have purees and cereals, but all the gurus of baby that I trust most suggest delaying food until six months. I'm with this in theory. It'll give her wee tummy more time to mature, and help prevent (possibly) food allergies. But it's so much fun to see a baby learn about the yummy texture-filled world of food. So, I broke down and offered her a spoonful of apple juice (I know- I really live on the edge.) She made the cutest scrunchy lemon face ever. Not a fan of the juice. She did open up wide for the spoon just like she knew what to do. I am a wicked mother and gave her a couple more sips just to see the adorable yuck face.

Leave me a comment with your green vegetable suggestion for her first real food. Peas? Avacado? What else can babies have that's green? Her pediatrician suggests green before yellow or orange veggies so they don't get hooked on the sweetness. Is she crazy? What do you veteran mamas think? She also said that it makes sense on the other hand to start them on something sweet like banana because breastmilk's sweet so they're familiar with sweetness.

*Well, apple juice. But I wanted to echo the title of Neil Gaiman's short story "Snow, Glass, Apples" because Neil rocks.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Frankly, I disagree w/ the pediatrician. All of the advice I read (and my doctor husband agreed) was to start them (after cereal) on a sweet veggie like carrots. A sweet veggie helps bridge the gap between the sweetness of breastmilk/formula and solids. I started both of my kids with carrots, then went to bananas, then to sweet potatoes, then to applesauce, etc. Back & forth veggie to fruits. I can't say much yet about my son but my three-year-old daughter loves vegetables, especially carrots and broccoli. She'll eat all her veggies and not touch a burger or macaroni & cheese. So I must've done something right.

I say go with what you think makes sense & you're doing it right :)

BTW: the first green veg they both had was peas. They didn't care much for peas but my daughter came to love them. My son's fave food is green beans.

Anonymous said...

We started with bananas I believe, then on to sweet potatoes, carrots, etc. The kids loved it, and now they eat everything. Although Viv has this odd affection for FROZEN veggies.

Too many people put far too much time into this topic, considering we all end up eating everything. How anyone really believes that having sweet potatoes before green beans will lead to a life long addiction to sweets is beyond me.

Lots more to worry about when they get older too! JOY! :)

Alexis Yael said...

We've just started on avocados (because they were ripe and yummy and mommy and daddy were having gaucamole!) which were OK the first night, but the second avocado wasn't so impressive last night.

Anyway, my thinking was sorta like what your pedi was saying, tho I was thinking about doing yams first, but then the avocados were SO ripe...

I mashed them with breast milk (maybe that was why second avocado wasn't so well recieved -- less milk in that one?)

Probably either sweet potatoes or bananas are next.

And we still haven't done cereal.