me, molly, and the moon

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

gifts

A lot of the time I feel displaced, like I was born into the wrong time and place. The world is complicated and worried, and I think we are disconnected from what makes us human. On another level, I’ve been told I was just born a generation too late, that I’m a lost flower child who should have been a young woman in the 60’s instead of the 90’s.

Today I was daydreaming and looked at things differently. I am amazingly lucky to be who I am, when I am. I’m incredibly blessed that the medical technology was available to make use of my arm, and to fix my doubled organs. Without modern surgery, I could never have made love or built my sculptures, much less have borne a child. Without medication, I may not have been able to feed the baby my own milk.

The other thing that fell into perspective was the amazing connection I’ve found with other moms on the net. The communication and information that I devoured to teach myself about pregnancy and parenting is unprecedented. Each generation probably thinks the wives’ tales they hear are ridiculous, but I know I knew more about my body and what to expect than my mother did. I had a vast store of medical information available to me, but even more important, I had stories. I read dozens of natural birth stories that helped embolden me and bolster my confidence. I read about nursing problems so when the baby’s latch was shallow and weak I knew what to ask of the lactation coaches. I read about new moms' daily struggles and hysterical kids' stories.

It’s just an incredible thing to feel so connected on an intellectual level to so many other parents, because since I conceived I felt a spiritual belonging that’s that powerful, too. I always revered the whole concept of Mother from a religious perspective, but somewhere in me I never really expected to graduate from Maidenhood. The transition was subtle and comfortable, and it’s so awe-inspiring to pass the torch to a daughter, to get to be somebody’s Mama. To be Molly’s mama. It’s the loveliest thing that this bright shining little soul that peers out at me from those huge sparkling eyes picked me to be her first guide in this world. I know Shane feels this too- I can see it in his eyes when he looks at her. He wouldn’t phrase things so mystically maybe, but that’s the way the world is to me.

Edit: Making me feel like a third grader with a shiny gold star on her summer vacation essay, Deb at Organized Chaos nominated me for a Perfect Post award.
A Perfect Post

3 comments:

Ericka said...

wow! that's so neat. i love dreams...and horoscopes. it's funny, you know. we read a lot of the same blogs. i'm a christian dn sometimes i feel a little awkward explaining my fascination with dreams an horoscopes to people. mostly they think i'm crazy/sinful. whatever, God used dreams, and heck, he invented the moon. i often refer them to the book, "The Red Tent."
i'm read a few of your posts. you sound really grounded and wonderfully enjoying motherhood, and married life. what an example. i'm about to embark on the married life road myself (just 43 days until the wedding).
anyway, thanks for stopping by, i'll probably keep checking your blog out. take care of yourself and your little family!!

Heidi said...

I love that book- it's one of the most beautiful things I've ever read.

It never occured to me that some Christians would have problems with astrology, but duh, I guess it's a little on the witchy side for some people. Fascinating stuff though.

erick23kty said...

this a go web page but it fair