me, molly, and the moon

Monday, November 06, 2006

showers & wings

This is a piece of art I created for my friend's baby's nursery. (Yes, that's a sleeping Molly.) We went to her shower Saturday. I obsessed about giving her this, worrying that she'd see it as a photo of Molly and a self-centered gift rather than as a collage using a photo of Molly. Shane told me it was fine but I'm still not sure. Anyway, it's cute. She is decorating with fairies and winged creatures.

The shower was great. I met a sweet woman who has two-year-old twins and conceived by artificial insemination. She and her girlfriend live next door to the mom-to-be. She offered me several nursing tops for cheap when she heard I'm planning on extended nursing. I don't have any nursing shirts, so that's a very cool thing. Extended nursing... so weird a term. Like there's an invisible line at age 1 when it suddenly becomes an extra, strange thing to do. 'Round here most folks think it's gross to nurse after a year. Well, alot of them think nursing's gross, period. Weirdest thing how that came to be the mindset amongst a poor bunch of people. They'd rather spend money on formula- it blows my mind.

The baby's back to normal... her itchy red bottom is almost healed, and she slept 7 or 8 hours last night without any nummins (nursing.) Of course, as Murphy's Law would dictate, I had insomnia. Probably because she's nursed non-stop during the week of evil diarrhea.

3 comments:

Gwen said...

That is a beautiful gift. Why do you think people buy Anne Gedes work? Not because they know the baby.

I am glad you are going to continue nursing, it is so nice to be able to continue. You will be happy (and possible bitten) when there is excessive teething. It really helps them once they figure out not to bite.

Oh, look out for my new blog, I will be changing from blogger pretty soon.

Anonymous said...

I'll admit-I get weirded out by the older range of extended nursing but i don't get all huffy about it. If I would have been able to BF, I don't think I could have done it, but hey, if you can...awesome.

I just look at my 20 month old and try to imagine BF the whirling dervish that she is. It doesn't compute.

And that is really lovely.

Heidi said...

Thordora,

Thanks:)

When I first started thinking about how long I'd like to nurse Molly I was confused too about the "whirling dervish" issue... then after reading some moms' blogs who have nursed older babies I realized by that age it's usually just a sleepy-time thing- at night or on waking. That made more sense to me then:) It's funny; I'm so grateful for the net- it's my only experience with other like-minded mamas. It's so cool, because I've learned so much that I'd never have learned from my friends and family. Most of them think I'm just a tiny bit crazy:)