me, molly, and the moon

Sunday, October 01, 2006

october 1, goth holiday extraordinaire

I worked at a family planning and abortion clinic years ago, and the Wicca was the majority religion of my co-workers. (That was so cool because there aren't too many in my area. Plus the religious right would have a heart palpitation about a bunch of witches running a clinic.) We declared October 1 a minor holiday and made it a rule that we'd all wear black, bonus points for pentagrams & gothy attire. I just cleaned, hung out with my aunt & grandma today, but I wore black because I always still do. It's like the countdown to Halloween begins. Whee!

I'm having religious conflict a little. I felt some weirdness at the group the other night, and I just don't know about my feelings. I used to be a devout little priestess in training, but it seems a little over-the-top now. At the same time I missed it terribly and feel like I need to reconnect with Persephone and Demeter, my patron Goddesses. I think part of it is I don't eat, sleep, and breathe Wicca like I used to. I devoured books, researched everything to death. I'm just not as interested in a scholarly way anymore.

My aunt brought a tiny, tiny sick kitten she found newborn & abandoned in her basement. It died on the way here. Too weak to suckle its little bottle of kitty-formula. I guess mama cat abandoned her? So my aunt was sad and then Molly was really gassy (bad broccoli eating mommy) and cried alot and I thought Pam was going to break down in tears with her. It is so pitiful to see those big eyes glass over with tears and then spill them all over her little cheeks. She was fighting sleep too. She passed out as soon as they left. And now she wakes.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I am exactly the same way about my faith. I think of it as a relationship, like how when you're first dating everything is new and physical and exciting. Then you kind of settle in and while you don't seem as gung-ho for one another, there's a kind of comfortable way about the relationship.

I think I was exploring and enjoying the newness of witchcraft and now I'm past the honeymoon and I'm an "old-married" witch. Part of this falling-off has been that I can't do certain things w/ my little ones around. I miss making altars for esbats and sabbats but the thought is there and I maintain my daily beliefs.

Part of it is that I don't feel the need to prove myself to myself or anyone. Another is that there's a dearth of serious information once you're past the 101 stage.

Maybe you feel the same?