me, molly, and the moon

Friday, August 04, 2006

fairy tales

for Crazy Hip Blog Mamas Writing Collaboration

I'm in love with books. I read them, I make artist's versions, I devour them like food. I love them as objects and covet them- I confess I prefer bookstores to libraries because I hate giving them back. Of course I'm excited to introduce Molly to books. She enjoyed (I think that's what the kicking meant) A Midsummer Night's Dream while she was in the womb. I haven't yet taken the time to read to her now that she's actually born, but I'm secretly loving the idea that right now I can read anything to her and she'll be absorbing the rhytms of speech and the comfort of my voice, blissfully ignorant of the actual words. I'm dying to reread Neil Gaiman's Stardust, my favorite fairy tale by a contemporary author, and I think I'll read it aloud to Molly at bedtime. (Now at age 2 months, she can hear the smutty bits and be none the wiser.) I like to imagine that the essence of the book will instill a sense of magic in her.

I can't wait until she's able to understand stories. We'll do the Brothers Grimm, then Hans Christian Anderson, and maybe I'll allow some Disney-fied versions to sneak in... they did Peter Pan pretty decent. We'll invent our own fairy tales too, like my Aunt Vicky did when I was little. By the time she's old enough to hear them, I may have the whole Harry Potter series memorized. You can be relieved for the baby that I've decided not to make her endure the Lord of the Rings Trilogy until she can read them herself. And I promise not to give her quizzes on Middle Earth geography and Quenya grammar.

Unfortunately, I'm clueless about simpler books for toddlers. I know Goodnight Moon and Where the Wild Things Are, but I'd love recommendations for fun baby books.

7 comments:

Gwen said...

OK, you have come to the right Mama. I also love love love books and so does my son. (He used to love them so much that he ate them but that is another story. )
I have a few recommends for baby books. First you have to get "Guess How Much I Love You" by Sam McBratney. You will cry is is so lovely. Any book by Jan Brett is also great. The illustrations are just beautiful. "Sheep In a Jeep" by Nancy Shaw is also a winner. "Goodnight Gorilla" by Peggy Rathmann is a beautiful picture book and there are not a lot of words to distract. Most of the books by Sandra Boynton are also really cool for the younger set. They are fun, good illustrations and the pace is fast. Babies also really love board books with pictures of real babies. We had one out of the library that Aidan would just look at for a very long time.

Hope this helps. I think you have inspired me to write a post about some of the books I love for this age group.

Heidi said...

Thanks, Gwen! I'll check these out.

Heidi said...

Thanks, Marianne:) Those'll go on my wishlist.

Bobita said...

Oh, oh...I could go on and on and on about the books. I will try to keep the list short, but I have a few favorites that you might want to check out...

1. Mama, Do You Love Me
2. The Runaway Bunny
3. Brown Bear, Brown Bear (anything by Eric Carle)
4. Pat the Bunny
5. Goodnight Moon (look for the mouse on each page)
6. (And I agree with Gwen) Goodnight Gorilla is excellent! (look for the balloon on each page)
7. Where is Baby's Belly Button
8. Anything and EVERYTHING by Sandra Boynton (our favorites: Pajama Time and Oh My Oh My Oh Dinosaurs)

I could go on...but I will force myself to stop...so as not to hijack your comments!

Anonymous said...

Hi there! We have a ton of board books. Karen Katz actually has an entire series of books on "Where Is..." they are all great. My 16-month-old loves the Spot the Dog books, too. I agree on Sandra Boynton and Eric Carle, too. When she gets older, the books by Paul o. Zelinsky (Knick Knack...and Wheels on the Bus) are gorgeous!

nik said...

I HIGHLY suggest the Pigeon series by Mo Willems. (Don't Let The Pigeon Drive The Bus, The Pigeon Finds A Hot Dog, Don't Let The Pigeon Stay Up Late, etc.) They are so much fun for me to read, and my two year old and six year old are both enraptured by them. It's hard to find books that interest both of them, and these are definitely a family favorite!

Ms Eva said...

"Hush Little Baby" by Sylvia Long was given to my little guy when he was a baby (we have it in a board book version). The author has reworded the nursery rhyme ... here are the first couple of verses (I've memorized it):

Hush little baby, don't say a word
Momma's gonna show you a hummingbird.
If that hummingbird doesn't fly,
Momma's gonna show you the evening sky.
If the nighttime shadows fall,
Momma's gonna hear the crickets call...

I love that this version shares a love of nature with the child rather than buying material stuff.