me, molly, and the moon

Saturday, July 22, 2006

wax

Brooke, on children's artistic impulses and the way they are being squashed by consumerism:

"I want Satchel to grab hold of his fat beeswax crayons that have a scent and vibrate with the work of the bees that made the wax. I want his pigment to be feathery one moment and a deep ravine of color the next. I want his art to tingle on his fingertips so that he knows his own strength of putting pigment on a page."

Gods- I just had to share that- that's why I read her. Eloquent, and the kind of mom I'd love to be. Also makes me itch to play with the chunk of pure beeswax I have buried in my studio supplies somewhere. I had great results last year with painting wax mixed with oils onto my sculptures. You can even collage with wax, and it smells like dirty honey when heated. Very sensual art experience.

I should be in bed with Molly, who's fast asleep, but I'm wide awake. It's kind of nice to be up late on a Saturday night and having a Saranac lager & surfing & writing my guts out. Feels like a temporary revisit to the land of the grown-ups.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Heidi, this is why I love getting comments from people who stop by my site...I find amazing new blogs to read and amazing women out there doing the same work that we all aspire to do - to mother with love and intention.

I linked over here, and lo and behold, I started reading to catch up on you! I'm so glad to have another bloggin' sister.

Of course you can quote me. It's quite an honor in fact.

blessings, blessings. Brooke